segunda-feira, 15 de outubro de 2012

Boiling water

Last week I met some nice people. Over a pot of coffee, one of my new friends who told me a story: when an egg goes through boiling water it gets hard. When a hard carrot goes through boiling water it becomes soft. And when ground coffee goes through water it becomes one of the most appreciated drinks that everyone enjoys. We shouldn't be like eggs, hardening our hearts after a hardship, nor like carrots, becoming soft - and she slumped on her chair as she said it, as if she was giving up her life. But we should be like ground coffee: as we go through a trial we become something good, useful to others.
Later that week I told my husband the story and he said: "This is cheap philosophy. You have been smarter than this!"
Well, maybe... but I have to say, that simple story really touched me. I think it is because I actually feel like a carrot, slumped on my chair, watching life pass (instead of living it).
I have been through a few struggles, some pretty nasty ones. And I feel like they made me more gracious, more enduring, more mature - like coffee, I think. But now that I am not really facing any severe storms - not on the outside, at least - I am ready to give up at the first challenge, just so I won't be frustrated and upset in case it doesn't come true. Just like a carrot. Well, it is time to wake up from this "slump" and start to make some coffee. Would you like some?

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário